Scheduled and mandatory firmware update to all FLARM and PowerFLARM devices; New TrackingServer
Baar, Switzerland – January 28, 2015 – FLARM Technology today announced that a scheduled and mandatory firmware update is soon to be released for all FLARM devices. The update is required for all FLARM-compatible designs. It includes classic FLARM, PowerFLARM and FLARM manufactured by LXNAV, LX Navigation, Garrecht/AIR Avionics, Triadis, Ediatec, Flytec/Bräuniger, OzFlarm and others.
The update will be released by early March 2015 on www.flarm.com at no cost. It includes safety features that increase the effectiveness and robustness of collision warnings, further decreasing nuisance alarms, for example by taking into account wind. It also includes new features to alert about temporary danger areas such as skydiver drop zones, RC plane- and UAV zones. Position and message encoding with newly introduced optional no-tracking setting will address privacy for ground-based tracking solutions while improving performance and system integrity. Some regions will see a change in operating frequency, to improve range. The new obstacle database now handles additional obstacle areas and types. Old obstacle database versions are obsolete and will no longer work. Obstacle database and functionality extension licenses can be purchased from shop.flarm.com.
This scheduled update has been announced with the last major firmware update in 2011, and is part of the FLARM system maintenance concept since FLARM was introduced to the market in 2004.
If the free FLARM update is not applied, the device will no longer be operational and stop to operate after March 31, 2015.
Every FLARM device must be updated to the latest firmware and obstacle database version at least once per year, which should be part of the regular aircraft maintenance program. Failure to do so may render the device fully or partially inoperable.
In spring 2015, FLARM Technology will introduce a scalable TrackingServer service, connecting FLARM ground stations and 3rd party receivers. This will enable tracking of participating aircraft, for example during competitions and by permitting flying clubs to track their own aircraft. It will fully support the new no-tracking setting and existing FLARM “Stealth Mode” for full global privacy. Search & Rescue operations (SAR) will have fast and comprehensive access to the data. TrackingServer is designed to combine various sources of tracking data such as FLARM radio packages (raw and dataport), smart phone tracking, SPOT, FlarmNet and other sources, with its core data and service accessible for everybody at no cost. FLARM ground stations and airborne systems will eventually rebroadcast data received from other sources to ensure maximal coverage regardless of the technology used, using FLARM’s innovative, patented mesh-technology. FLARM Technology welcomes other data sources and service enablers to collaborate with TrackingServer.
Traffic and Collision Warning for General Aviation
New: Comparison between the new PowerFLARM® and the classic FLARM® on the Products page.
FLARM® is an affordable, active and cooperative traffic and collision-warning system for general aviation and recreational flying. Since 2004, over 25'000 FLARM® and fully compatible devices have been installed in aircraft worldwide. These devices have been credited on many occasions with avoiding dangerous situations and increasing situational awareness. FLARM® is the only prevalent alternative to the commercial airliners’ expensive ACAS/TCAS system:
- shows nearby traffic, warns visually and acoustically of approaching other aircraft or fixed obstacles
- intelligent motion prediction minimizes nuisance alarms and supports situational awareness
- integrates with over 50 compatible products by other manufacturers (e.g. PDA moving maps) through open serial port
- all versions feature microSD card for easy up- and downloads, IGC-format flight recording and OLC-approval
- based on award-winning original FLARM design, endorsed by FAI, IGC/OSTIV and EASA (AMC Part 21, Part M)
- optional diamond-level IGC-approval with/without engine noise sensor (ENL)
- typically 4-8km radio range, verified with online radio range analyzer
- range > 10 km with external antennas
- powerful 16-channel high-precision uBlox LEA-GPS module
- obstacle database covers Italian, Swiss, Austrian, French and German obstacles, with updates (functionality at cost)
- sustainable and full compatibility with wide range of FLARM®-licensed products
- operates in a license-free radio band, not based on transponder technology
- small size and simple installation (12V - 24VDC, 43mA)
Please note that the classic FLARM® devices are no longer being manufactured. They have been superseded by the superior PowerFLARM® devices, designed and manufactured by FLARM Technology GmbH in Switzerland. Please
contact one of our resellers for a quote.
PowerFLARM advantages (German)
More than 25'000 devices in use!
More than 12'000 own devices manufactured by FLARM® plus over 5'000 devices manufactured by licensed 3rd parties are in use in many countries and continents.
Demonstration devices are available for evaluation.
for gliders and portable use
for helicopters and other GA
with advanced voice / intercom interface
with advanced buzzer / intercom output
and digital distance indicator
various other housings and configurations available from licensees